Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Sketching the Vote in 2008

This is the sketch I drew while waiting for the results of the American election to be announced eight years ago (see my post Another kind of surge

Another kind of surge (November 2008)
(or what I did while waiting for the results)
11.5" x 8.5", pencil
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

The thing I remember that was so remarkable then were the huge long queues of people waiting to vote.

There were so many images of them in the press and online that I decided to start my very own queue and sat adding sketches images of individuals from the various images online until I'd created my very own queue led by an elderly African American lady with a flag.

It was also a bit of a reprise on a rather well known election poster of a few years back in this country. (I'm sure more than a few of you will remember that one!)

So who's sketching this US election? Will you be drawing?

Here's the list of people - with their posts that I found online last time and which I posted in
9th November 2008 - Who's made a mark this week?

I decided to make a compendium of all the illustrated blog posts that I could find by artists and illustrators blogging about the election day, the election process and the results....and here they are:
  • Other bloggers posted

  • and inevitably that message was reiterated yet again
  • and just for the record here's a link to what seems to have been a pretty powerful piece of performance art which went viral. The video for Yes We Can has now been viewed more than 50 million times across various video sites.
.....and just in case you wondered what they were doing while a lot of us watched the TV, here's Behind the scenes with the Obama family - watching the TV!

2 comments:

  1. If you have time, Katherine, take a look at Charley Parker's
    http://linesandcolors.com/2016/11/07/vote-like-the-future-of-the-arts-in-the-us-depends-on-it/

    Love your queue sketch btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, such a different election result from 2008 - so interesting to look back at that time of optimism and hope, and hope that it returns somehow!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.