The competition is the leading open competition for figurative and representational art and the exhibitions are held annually at the Mall Galleries.
The prizewinning work is called "Salt in Tea". Lewis has also won a solo exhibition for a wider body of his work at Mall Galleries later this year. Lewis has been painting the people involved in London based craft industries - traditional craftsmen - for some time and I'm sure we're going to have a treat when the exhibition is on display!
|Salt in Tea by Lewis Hazelwood-Horner|
In terms of practice, his painting has a very textured surface - reminding me a lot in places of paintings by Lucian Freud
Painter Lewis Hazelwood-Horner’s work is concerned with the efficiency of the artist’s practise. The paint is generously applied to the canvas but in using the primed surface as a pallet little is left to waste, resulting in thick textured paintings.Lewis recently graduated from LARA - the London Atelier of Representational Art (2012-14) – LARA - this is an interview with Lewis on the Lara website.
|Salt and Tea - Winner of the £20,000 Columbia Threadneedle award for figurative and representational art.|
There were a lot of people at the Private View last night which was the first "outing" for the new revamped Main Gallery and reception and bookshop at the Mall Galleries.
This was the "before"
|The Threadneedle Exhibition 2016 at the Mall Galleries- getting ready for the PV|
|Lewis McNaught, Director of the Mall Galleries addressing those attending the Private View- encouraging them all to vote in the poll for the the £10,000 Visitors Choice Award|
by identifying the painting they liked the best
The £10,000 Visitors' Choice Award is now being voted on by those visiting the exhibition at the Mall Galleries. The exhibition opened to the public yesterday and continues until 1pm on 20th February.
More about the Threadneedle Prize ExhibitionI'll be writing another couple of posts - one of which will be a review of the exhibition - and the other will be my shortlist of the works I liked the best in the exhibition.
If you want to find out more about the background to this exhibition and the prize please review my previous posts in the archive below.
The Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016
- The Columbia Threadneedle Prize - Call for Entries - The Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016: Overview of the Call For Entries and the changes since the last time this competition was run in 2014.
- Selected Artists - The Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016 - Overview of the artists selected for The ColumbiaThreadneedle Prize 2016 - including images and links to artists' websites.
- The Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016: Shortlisted Artists - Images of the shortlisted paintings for the ThreadneedlePrize 2016 and profiles of their artists.
Threadneedle Prize 2014
- Tina Jenkins wins Threadneedle Prize 2014 - announcement of the winner plus pictures from the Awards Dinner
- Threadneedle Prize 2014 - The Shortlist - A review of the artwork and artists shortlisted for the Threadneedle Prize 2014.
- The Threadneedle Prize 2014 - what's changed and how to enter - Review of the changes in the 2014 Threadneedle Prize and the Call for Entries.
Threadneedle Prize 2013
- Clare McCormack and Lisa Wright win Threadneedle Prize 2013
- Threadneedle Prize 2013 Exhibition - Review
- Threadneedle Prize 2013 - Shortlist announced - a review of the artists and their works shortlisted for the Threadneedle Prize
- One month left to enter £30000 Threadneedle Prize - Overview of the Call for Entries for the £30000 Threadneedle Prize (2013) for Figurative and Representational Art - deadline 4 July 2013.
- Threadneedle Prize 2013 - Selected Artists - List of the artists (+ websites) selected to show their paintings and sculpture in the Threadneedle Prize 2013 Exhibition at the Mall Galleries.
Threadneedle Prize 2012
- Call for Entries for £30000 Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Making a Mark - Overview of the Call for Entries for the £30000 Threadneedle Prize for Figurative and Representational Art - deadline 23 May 2012.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: Analysis of entries - Threadneedle Prize 2012: An analysis of the art competition entries and artwork and artists selected and comparison to 2011.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: names of selected artists - List of selected artists for the Threaneedle Prize Exhibition 2012 - plus links to their websites.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Exhibition now Online - how to access the Online Exhibition of the Threadneedle Prize 2012.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Shortlisted Artists - The winners of both The Threadneedle Prize (£30,000) and Visitors' Choice Prize (£10,000) will be announced at a special Awards Dinner on Wednesday 10 October 2012 - to which I'm invited.
- Review: Threadneedle Prize Exhibition 2012 - Review of the Threadneedle Prize for Painting and Sculpture 2012 Exhibition at the Mall Galleries.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: The Making a Mark Select Six - An alternative shortlist for the Threadneedle Prize 2012.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - the Award Winners - Ben Greener wins Threadneedle Prize 2012. Robert Truscott wins People's Choice Award 2012.
2011 Threadneedle Prize
2010 Threadneedle Prize
- Patricia Cain wins £25,000 Threadneedle Prize 2010
- Threadneedle - just another art prize in 2010? 22 Apr 2010
- Threadneedle Prize: selected artists 28 Jun 2010
- Shortlist for £25000 Threadneedle Prize 2010 announced 26 Jul 2010
- Threadneedle Prize 2010 Exhibition opens today 02 Sep 2010
- My Threadneedle Prize shortlist 15 September 2010
2009 Threadneedle Prize
- Sheila Wallis wins £25,000 Threadneedle Prize 2009
2008 Threadneedle Prize
- Nina Murdoch wins the Threadneedle Figurative Prize 2008