Friday, August 09, 2013

Who painted this? #39

Who painted this? #39
I've been deep in the depths of consulting with neighbours and drafting my Residents' Association's response to a major planning application this week.  I've been longing to be outside and doing anything other than studying endless documentation and drafting "planning speak".

This was not helped by 'Word' going wonky and needing to be uninstalled and reinstalled.  Did you know there are 25,000 files in Microsoft Word 2011 and it takes hours to uninstall!

Anyway, here's this week's challenge.  This one was a complete and utter surprise to me.  It's a place I know well and yet I've never seen a painting of it before,  Nor did I know that this artist had painted this place (which he has and more than once) and it's certainly not the most obvious view.........

I've lightened the image I found because it seemed too dark and over-saturated and that simply isn't the style of this artist - and you needed to see the style because that's as much help as you're getting!

For those who've not risen to the challenge before please take a minute to read the rules - see below.

How to participate in "Who painted this? #39"


PLEASE make sure you read the rules before posting a comment - and ONLY POST ON THIS BLOG what you think is the answer.
Click this link to read THE RULES for participating in this challenge (this saves having to copy them out for each post!).

In short:
  • use your brains not software to find the answer
  • search using words only on a database of images
  • leave your answer as a comment on this blog
  • if correct it will not be published until the next post - which provides the answer
  • if wrong it will be published
  • do not leave the answer on Facebook!
  • the winner - who gets a mention and a link on/from this blog - is the first person to give me a completely correct answer for ALL the things I want to know


Who Painted This #38 - The Answer


The Merode Altarpiece by Robert Campin
  • Title of the artworkMerode Altarpiece (see a high resolution version here)
  • Name of the artist who created this artwork: Robert Campin (the Master of Flemalle)
  • Date it was created: c. 1425-1428
  • Media used: Triptych, oil on wood, 119.8 x 148.5 cm (Center panel 25 1/4 x 24 7/8 in; Left wing 25 3/8 x 10 3/4 in.; Right wing 25 3/8 x 11 in.)
  • Where it lives now: The Cloisters, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
Here's a treat for you - and none of you spotted this source about Kampin on the Khan Academy Smart History website or this YouTube film - by Dr. Beth Harris, Dr. Steven Zucker.  Enjoy!




Who guessed correct?

Who painted this #38? My congratulations to Jacqui Boyd who knew it from her art studies
A long long time ago I did my thesis on symbolism, Van Eyck's Arnolfini Portrait, The Ambassador by Holbein and The Donne Triptych by Hans Memling,(hand written, as no typewriter for a penniless art art student) so this image was very familiar to me. However, I have to confess, 33 yrs have past since then so the name was not on the tip of my tongue.
Others who also got it right - in order - are as follows.  It was amazing how many of you had seen it in person - but no surprise it made such a strong impression.
It is called the Merode Triptych. The artist is The Master of Flemalle, it was painted, using oils, a new medium at the time, around 1430. It lives in the Cloisters Collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. I know this because last night I listened to the first couple of chapters in a new 'Art to Hear'(text on CD) book about The Master of Flemalle and Rogier van der Weyden (one of my fave artists). This work was the one I 'read' about just before I went to sleep!

If you'd like to study how people get the correct answer try studying past challenges which are listed in the Page Who painted this? - at the the top of the Page. Since of the requirements is to say how you found it, you can see the various ways people get to the answer.

Just for the record - anybody who leaves a comment on the page which lists all the "who painted this?" rather than the specific blog post is not counted.  You have been warned!

13 comments:

  1. I thought this looked like a Pissarro so I googled Pissarro, oil paintings garden and there it was.

    Kew Gardens - Path between the Pond and the Palm House
    by Camille Pissarro
    oil
    1892
    Private collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who Painted this? #39 Camille Pissarro [1830-1903]
    Title: Kew Gardens - Path between the Pond and the Palm House by Camille Pissarro
    Date:circa 1892
    Medium: Oil on canvas
    Dimensions: unknown
    Private Collection

    Recognzed Pissarro's style but unfamiliar with the painting. Google
    Pissarro painting gardens and found the correct image. Side note, it is very popular as a reproduced oil painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine,

    Who painted this #39 is Kew Gardens, Path between the Pond and the Palm House, created in 1892 by Camille Pissaro. It's an oil of canvas. It's in a private collection.
    I thought the clouds looked like Pissaro clouds so I searched for Camille Pissaro's garden paintings.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kew Gardens: Path between the Pond and the Palm House by Camille Pissarro, painted in oils in 1892 and currently it seems to be in a private collection.

    Recognised it as a Pissarro and guessed from your comments and the style of the garden that it was likely to be in London, especially he spent some time there around 1870, escaping the situation in Paris.

    A search for Pissarro, london and gardens through up the image fairly quickly - however, it seems to be a very, very popular image as a reproduction painting and as a print, so it took ages to track down where it is now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Artist.....Camille Pissarro
    Title...Kew Gardens Path between the Pond and the Palm house
    Where it is ...Private Collection
    Date...circa 1892
    Medium...Oil on canvas
    How I found it... I took a long time on this one,thought it might be Sisley, then Pissarro ( but tossed him aside as we had him a few weeks ago....big mistake! ) I tried every word I could think of to google without success, then thought ..maybe it is Pissarro...it looked so like his work... and found it.I enjoyed the chase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...knew the artist, but couldn't find accurate details about the painting anywhere. It seems to have many different titles. Finally dug this up:

    Kew Gardens, Path to the Great Glasshouse
    Camille Pissarro
    1892
    oil/canvas
    64.8 cm X 54 cm
    Private collection

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coincidentally I spent the day sorting through photos I took in the Botanic Gardens here in Dublin, I have to make a screenprint for an exhibition of prints which will take place in the gallery attached to the Gardens in the Autumn. . The show, called A Natural Selection,will have 100 prints, by 100 artists, in editions of 100 @ €100 each. All the work must be the same size and inspired by the gardens.
    Bernadette Madden
    I hope your eye problems are all now in the past

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this was quite frustrating as I recognised the style immediately, guessing Pissarro, and I had a good idea of the place, even though I have only visited it about twice, despite my Aunt living down the road for most of my teenage/early 20's. I did look up French painters in London, 1890's but of course, the main concentration was in the 1870's. I even typed in Pissarro, several times but came up blank. Very frustrating, when I knew it must be him. But eventually via a blog called Fabulous Masterpieces in London, I found it!

    Artist: Camille Pissarro
    Year: 1892
    Oil on Canvas
    title: Kew Gardens - Path to the Great Glasshouse, 1892 or Path between the Pond and the Palm House
    where: Private Collection

    ReplyDelete
  9. Camille Pissarro
    Kew Gardens Path between Pond and Palm House
    Circa 1892
    Oil on canvas
    Private collection
    Started with Seurat .....but style not quite pointalist. Re-read post and decided it was Kew Gardens. Searched Kew
    Gardens post impressionist landscape and that brought up
    the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Katherine,

    This is an interesting one.

    Title of the artwork: Kew, the Path to the Main Conservatory (Le Jardin de Kew - Allee de la Grande Serre)
    Name of the artist: Camille Pissarro
    Date it was created: 1892
    Media used: Oil on canvas
    Where it lives now: Private Collection
    How do I know all this: I used your clues and searched for “pointillism kew” in Google images. This returned many different versions of the picture – including two wiki painting pages.

    Cheers,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  11. The picture is by Camille Pissaro called Kew Gardens: Path between the Garden and the Palm House.
    Painted in 1892, oil on canvas, in a private collection.

    I thought it looked like a Monet but I didn't think you would use an easy one like him. So I searched for paintings of Hampton Court Palace and Kensington Palace in the1800's because I thought the gardens had similar features and the clothes were from that era. I found some garden paintings of Pissaro and Voila! There she was.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.