Back in November, the same question was asked about watercolour paints (see POLL: Which are the best artist-quality watercolour paints?) and I got the impression people found the poll very useful - notwithstanding it had a major hiccup!
At the end of the month I will also publish a new website which will contain:
- links to all the identified brands of artists' oil paints,
- an analysis of the brands
- views about the best brands of artist quality oil paints and
- links to relevant information about oil paint for artists (eg lightfastness and fugitive colours)
|Oil Paints - by Schminke, Charvin and Blockx - in Green & Stone in Chelsea, London|
The brands I've identified as suitable for the poll are listed below - in alphabetical order.
I thought I knew most of them but kept searching and found a number of smaller operations of the 'artists colourmen' variety which are worth bringing to your attention. To this end I've also included the link to the manufacturer's brand site in the name of the paint in case any of you are unfamiliar with the brand.
- Art Spectrum Artists Oil Colours
- Blockx Artists' Oil Colors
- Blue Ridge Oil Colours
- Charvin Extra Fine Oils
- Daler Rowney Artists Oil Colours
- Daniel Smith Oil Paints
- Da Vinci Oil Colors
- Gamblin Artist Grade Oil Colors
- Holbein Artists Oil
- Kremer Pigmente Oil Colors
- Lukas 1862 finest artists' oil colour paints
- Maimeri Oil Colours
- M. Graham Oil Colors
- Michael Harding Handmade Artists' Oil Colours
- Old Holland Classic Oil Colours
- Pebeo's Fragonard extra fine oil paints
- Pebeo Huile d'Art super fine oil
- Pip Seymour Artists Oil Colours
- RGH Artists Oil Paints
- Roberson Artists Oil
- Robert Doak’s Oil Paints
- Royal Talens - Rembrandt Oil
- Royal Talens - Van Gogh Oil
- Rublev Artists' Oil Colors
- Schminke Mussini Finest Artists Resin Oil Colors
- Schminke Norma Professional Artists
- Sennelier Artists' Oil Colour
- Vasari Classic Artists’ Oil Colors
- Williamsburg Handmade Oil Colors
- Winsor and Newton Artists Oil Colour
As per usual, the Opinion Poll will run until the beginning of the 31st March - with a report of the results being provided shortly thereafter.
You can find it in the right hand column - it's probably true to say that this month it's very hard to miss it!
Do please share your views on the oil paint you prefer and say why in a comment on this post.
Links to more of my information about oil paint, oil painting and paint supplies
Please note subscriptions only become live after you have verified the link in the email you will receive