There are three awards:
- The Most Gorgeous Mouthwatering (MGM) Studio of the Year
- The Art Innovation of the Year Award
- “The Moose” - the award for the best animal in an illustrated blog
|The Most Gorgeous Mouthwatering (MGM) Studio of the Year is for the Most Improved Studio of the Year and reflects the continuous efforts of many artists to improve our studio and working environments|
Previous winners are
- 2008: Tracy Helgeson (Works by Tracy Helgeson) [This award was originally made under The “Tales from the Frontline” Amusing Musings Trophy - now retired. It prompted the creation of this new award in 2009]
- 2009: Lisa Call (Lisa Call - Contemporary Taxtile Art)
- 2010: Cathy Johnson (Shed of Reality: a place called sanity)
- 2011: shared between:
That said for the most part people were focused on improving their working space this year and a number of people took action to improve their studio arrangements:
- Sherrie York (Brush and Baren) had a Studio Redux and learned more about how to create the right studio space
- Linda Blondheim (Linda Blondheim Art Notes) is making progress in clearing out her studio and making it more like the way she thinks it will work best for her and her students
- Rose Welty had a bit of a Before and After moment in her office/studio - Studio: Before and After pictures!
I'm not sure it's MGM grand, but I love it and it's my favorite place in the world to be. I have everything I need with a place for everything, flexibility to do any kind of work, room for teaching, great lighting, comfort whether it's hot or cold out, and the ability to work any hours I want with a great sound system playing music or audio books.
The Most Gorgeous Mouthwatering (MGM) Studio of the Year
The Art Innovation of the Year Award
|The Art Innovation of the Year Award is awarded to highlight those artist bloggers who experiment and/or create and/or share innovations which help the practice of other artists.|
The sharing may be through:
The Joint Inaugural Winners in 2011 were:
- Ester Roi (Ester Roi)- for her Icarus Art Drawing Board
- Karin Jurick (A Painting Today) and Brett (the easel guy) - for her Paint On Tabletop Easel
In the summer of 2012, Nicole Caulfield (Nicole Caulfield Fine Art) reinvented a small camper as a mobile art studio and gallery. The idea was truly inspired - right down to the vintage/retro design! My blog post gives the story of the mobile studio/gallery so I won't add any more here except to say Nicole did it all by herself. So take heart all those who want a space to call their own - and somewhere to keep dry at art fairs when it rains!
|The very original "Moose"|
This award is for particularly noteworthy artwork about an animals or animals (wild or domestic) posted to an art or illustrated blog in 2012. The original intention was that it would be about the studio pet (hence why it's in this category) - however over the years it's grown beyond this to being a blog about artists involved with animals - and fish and birds!
Previous winners are
2006: Maggie Stiefvater (Greywaren Art ) - Moose
2007: Gayle Mason (Fur in the Paint) - “Out of Sight”
2008: Tracy Hall (Watercolour Artist)
2009: Kimberly Santini (The Painting a Dog a Day Project)
2010: Jeanette Jobson's (Illustrated Life)
2011: Debbie Kotter Caspari (Drawing the Motmot)
I have to say I've grown very fond of Paula Pertile's (Drawing a Fine Line) mad, bad and very splendid cats (see Thanksgiving) who I am sure would be very much appreciated by anybody who likes cats.
The funny thing is that, according to Paula, she doesn't draw cats at all. Felines are certainly not listed on her "what I draw' statement. ("I'm an artist who draws children's picture books, architecture, still and "un-still" lifes, food, portraits and yarn.")
However I keep seeing her cats on her blog - they pop up simply everywhere! I keep expecting them to get a Facebook page. Here are some of the drawings which I think wouldn't have happened if they hadn't been around. For 2013, I think Paula ought to seriously consider giving her cats a free rein - after all there are an awful lot of feline art lovers out there!
|Mad cats - © Paula Pertile|
|Bedtime story - © Paula Pertile|
|Mexican fish and chips - © Paula Pertile|
Tomorrow I'll be announcing the winner of the Best Picture Awards.