“When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment. I want to give that world to someone else. Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it whether they want to or not.”
|A long look at a favourite flower|
© Katherine Tyrrell
All winning images will be published in the spring issue of O’Keeffe Magazine and on the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum web site (beginning February 1, 2013 – March 1, 2013) plus there are various awards to be won (see website for details). The First Prize is $500 + Santa Fe Photographic Workshop Intensive, Annie Leibovitz signed edition of Annie Leibovitz: Pilgrimage; signed edition of Roxana Robinson’s biography, Georgia O’Keeffe; and a select item from the O’Keeffe Museum gift shop.
Anybody care to guess what my flower is?
The aim of the competition
Georgia O’Keeffe was famous for her interpretation of flowers. Some realistic, some abstract...but always beautiful. In her spirit, please share with us photographs of your favorite flowers — those pictures that capture your heart and capture the beauty and magnificence that is nature.The Georgia O’Keeffe Museum invites anyone enthusiastic about photography and art to enter the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum Photography Contest.
Who can enter
All photographers are eligible - except those associated with the Museum.
What to Enter
The competition invites submission as follows:
- Each submitted photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the Contest entrant.
- Open to all photographic imagery depicting the subject of "flower" as interpreted by the entrant.
- Entries may originate in any format including, but not limited to digital files, digital prints, color transparencies, color prints, or black and white prints.
- All submissions will be electronic in the form of JPG files.
- By entering the Contest, entrant acknowledges that the submitted photograph(s) is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photograph. Photos that violate or infringe upon another person's copyright are not eligible.
Criteria for Assessment
Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit. The rules state that all entries will be anonymously reviewed throughout the Contest.
How to submit
The very detailed Rules, Terms, and Conditions need to be reviewed prior to submitting an entry. The main points are highlighted in this post but there's a lot that isn't.
Submission is electronic - which makes it feasible for international entries.
- Each photo must be submitted electronically via https://client.smarterentry.com/Okeeffe. You need to create a login before you can submit and entry. Note the comments about browsers on the left of the screen and the fact that Mac users are recommended to use Firefox.
- No mail-in entries will be accepted.
- Each entry consists of an entry form, an entry fee, and up to three images. Note you need to make the payment before you complete the form and upload the images. Image format detailed below
- Additional images may be submitted for additional fees.
- There is no limit to the number of submissions per entrant.
The required image format is as follows:
- JPG format with compression at level 7 (or medium)
- 72 dpi resolution
- 1,280 pixels on the longest side
- sRGB or RGB color space (standard)
- less than 2MB total size
There are TWO deadlines - which relate to the fees payable
- Early Entry Deadline (Thursday, November 15, 11:59 p.m. PST) - which is Georgia O’Keeffe’s 125th Birthday!
- Final Entry Deadline (Wednesday, December 19, 11:59 p.m., PST):
- Early Entry
- Adults: $35 for 3 images, $10 for every image above 3
- Students: $15 for 3 images for students, $5 for every image above 3
- Final Entry
- Adult: $45 for 3 images, $10 for every image above 3
- Student: $20 for 3 images for students, $5 for every image above 3
Adults Panel of Judges:
- Jennifer Schlesinger-Hanson, director, VERVE Gallery of Photography
- Joyce Tenneson, photographer
- Norman Vanamee, editor-in-chief, Garden Design Magazine
- Jackie M, Director of Education and Public Programs, Georgia O’Keeffe Museum
- Mary Anne Redding, Chair, Photography Department, Santa Fe University of Art and Design