Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Shirley sketches London

It's great to see other people including images from their travel sketchbooks on their blogs. I've been trying to work out away of referencing them on my "Travels with a Sketchbook" blog without interrupting the flow of my current trip and decided the best way was to do a post in this one and then reference this post in the right hand column of that blog - and also in my squidoo lens for drawing and sketching. Got it? ;)

So here is a list of the links to Shirley's posts about her visit to London in her blog - "Paper and Threads". Bear in mind she was on a proper family vacation and that for much of the time she had one or both of two young grandchildren aged 3 and 19 months with her. Shirley says
The journal was a linen watercolor by Cachet (7 x 10" spiral bound). I used Pigma Micron pens, Niji waterbrushes (small and medium) and a Daler-Rowney travel watercolor set. ..........I carried my supplies with me and tried to make very quick sketches and then added watercolor washes - both from memory of the colors and occasional photos taken immediately before. ..........Since my goal when I started sketching recently was to be able to keep an illustrated travel journal, I am pleased with my progress.
I think Shirley has done really well for somebody who is new to keeping a travel sketchbook. She should be very proud of what she has achieved in terms of both quantity and quality of post. I was particularly impressed with her images of buildings and museums. My only disappointment was with the size of her images when I clicked on them - and Shirley shouldn't be shy about these - they deserve to be bigger [Shirley has now edited her blog and the images of buildings in Part 1 are now larger]

If anybody else knows of blogs which have a serious number of travel sketches (see Shirley's blog for reference) and which merit a post do let me know and I'll pay a visit. You can contact me via my e-mail address which is on my website or leave a comment on this post but be aware that I check links when moderating comments.

Technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Well, this is a coincidence! I'd decided it was high time to make a gallery of my travel sketches on my blog and now you've unwittingly encouraged me to just do it! I'll get to it this week. Thank you for highlighting Shirley's delightful sketches!
    Laur(elines)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine, Take a peek at the sketches ofAnthony Zierhut he has just returned from a camping trip and is beginning to post his sketches, beautiful work!

    Yay for Shirley, fun to see her trip!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.