Thursday, June 15, 2006

Laurelines compares the performance of coloured pencils

Laurelines has a really great post which compares the performance - both dry and with water - of various coloured pencils. She compared the following pencils:
  • Cretacolor Aquamonoliths
  • Derwent Inktense
  • Faber Castell water colouble coloured pencils
  • Faber Castell Polychromos (a non WC pencil)
Laura has done drawings of her gardening glove before and after the application of waterand commented on ther experience of using the pencils in this way. Her views can be summarised as follows:
  • the experiment clearly highlights for her the differences between each type of pencil and helps her to decide when she'd use each pencil
  • the pencils vary in their impact on how she draws. Read her post to see what these variations are.
  • the Derwent Inktense and the Faber Castell watercolour pencils provide the most saturated colour, are most like a watercolour experience but provide least control over nuances.
I'm always keen to reference good quality experiments with the sort of media which this blog focuses on.

Do let me know (through the comments function) if you come across one which you think might be interesting to readers of this blog. If it's relevant I'll publish the comment - but do be aware that I do read links before publishing them and only link to blogs relevant to my interests and the purpose of this blog*.

* In other words, this blog does not exist to provide a link which helps an un-related blog's bid to increase its search engine ranking. Please read my comments policy first if you have any queries.

Related Link: Laurelines - Green gloves - color pencilled
Technorati tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Katherine. I really enjoyed making the sketches and comparing effects. There's so much difference between and among those I used. I agree with you that the artist quality colored pencils are smoother than the watersoluble ones, but for some reason, I really like the rough-and-readiness of the others for drawing, too. I wonder how Caran d'Ache watersoluble pencils would compare!
    L(lines)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've just crossed in the ether - except I was e-mailing!

    The supracolours (the water colour pencils made by Caran d'ache) are drier than the Pablos. If a Caran d'ache doesn't seem to be releasing the pigment the way I think it should, it's generally because it's not a Pablo and would like to see some water sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.